Friday, November 23, 2007

Strictly Addicted

Ok so I have to come out of the closet.

The truth is that for some time now I've been living a lie.

On the surface I've been living like a normal person; going to work, drinking with friends, going to see movies etc but at night, behind closed curtains I've been hiding a shameful secret.

It involves strange costumes, unusual positions and a bizarre mix of partners. Yes, the truth is, I've embraced the lifestyle of a gay man.

I love Strictly Come Dancing.

Oh it feels so good to say it out in the open! Nobody understands my compulsion to watch this show. Saturday evening prime-time on BBC1 is normally for grannies and kids; not for young, single people with exciting social lives (ahem...).
I mean - it's hosted by Bruce Forsythe for God's sake!

I didn't mean to get hooked. It started off casually; I'd watch the odd Saturday show not knowing my quickstep from my samba. But after a while I stopped missing shows on any day; the weekend performances and results show would fuel my hunger and suddenly I was watching the commentary show "It Takes Two" every night of the week.

From Brendan's illegal use of extra lifts to Kate's hopeless stomping, Kenny's kilted Paso Doble to Barnes' wicked salsa--I love it all. I spending significant quantities of work time surfing youtube for videos of interviews or performances and I'm even keeping an eye on the online forums where fans discuss the show (quite a few of them out there Ill tell you...)

I'm a SCD nerd.

How did this happen?

Well truthfully Strictly Come Dancing has something this year it had no other year: Gethin Jones.

This beautiful Welsh hunk of a Blue Peter presenter is by far the most attractive person to grace my television in years. And more than just a fit body he has a soft Welsh accent, excessive modesty, excellent manners, the ability to dance and he's wonderful with kids. Women everywhere will understand the rarity of a package like this.

His switch from kids programming to Strictly has earned him many, many new female admirers. I swear - I haven't had a crush on a TV personality like this since the age of 14.

I need help....or at least some friends to join me in my madness. Take a look at the videos and tell me Gethin's not beautiful--go on - I dare ya.

Another month of this and I'm going cold turkey I promise - I'll have to - the show only goes on till Christmas :(

In the meantime - keep dancing!

5 comments:

Forty's Coats said...

Which is worse: the fact that you're obsessed with a prancing taffy and gay man's wet dream, or the fact that I'm replying to your blog post while sitting a foot from you, having accompanied your writing of said post with some googling of Russell Brand?

In reality what surpasses both is the fact that you're currently watching a SCD clip on youtube with your earphones in while I contemplate what to google next. It is Friday night.

Ms Dobbyn said...

I love Friday's in.
The Late, Late Show is a highly underrated programme.
And hey I've been out every single night this week doing something--I'm allowed stay in one night in 5!
And you appreciate the hotness of Gethin too - don't deny it!

Belinsky_11 said...

I fear the both of ye...

Ms Dobbyn said...

Ya-like your life is so much more interesting Dec--still working till 10pm every night?!

Come to the Palace on Wedneday-Bob, Chelle, Dan and Annaleigh all coming....

Unknown said...

I just want you to know we love you and we're proud of you for admitting your addiction! That's the first step to beating it! *giggle*