Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bonesy's Back

Well the glorious 'career break of wonder' ended last September when I returned to my secure pensionable teaching job in the wee county. Unexpectedly the time off from teaching made me want to do it all the more - I was sure it'd be more of a career change than a career break but there you go... A year and a half in PR taught me that I cannot stand sitting in front of a computer all day and really need decent holidays for my sanity.

The teaching year flew by faster than any previous year I had spent in a classroom and, despite pay cuts and the return of teacher-bashing in the media, I goddamn enjoyed being a teacher this year. A formerly head-wrecking co-worker had left the school, I had as many 'good' classes (classes where those who want to learn outnumber those who don't) as 'bad' and I had fun doing extracurricular activities like the yearbook and Drama.

I was less inclined to sweat the small stuff then when I had taught previously and I think that might be key to surviving as a secondary teacher. Punctuality and handing in essays on time matter to me; correct uniform, having silence in the classroom and backchat don't matter all that much. I was debating before most of these kids were born (man I'm old).. I can handle them.

Back in the first year or two when I began and I was doing it solely for financial independence and a lack of other ideas, I used to respond to the "and what do you do?" questions by saying "I'm teaching at the moment" ie I'm temporarily engaging in this as a way to make money. Now I'm content to say "I'm a teacher".

It's not all that I am but it is a part of who I am and that's ok. Of course, since the collapse of the Celtic tiger, teaching is no longer considered such a second rate career. Suddenly permanent and pensionable looks awfully attractive to Joe Schmo. But none of that really matters to me - I don't know how long I'll stay at this school - life could drag me to another part of the country or the world at anytime.

I guess I've decided to live in the moment a bit more and to enjoy that moment. As soon as you stop comparing this moment to every other possible moment out there and stop comparing your life to everyone else's (or how you imagine their lives to be)..well then you can start to actually live your life. Not how you imagined it to be but how it really is.

Really.

Hell I'm watching Sopranos box sets at the moment--life is really rather grand as long as you're not a Capo for The Family having to watch your back all the time... ..although I could go for some cannoli right now.


Far away cannoli is always greener. Fugeddaboutit.

No comments: